Monday, June 3, 2013

First letter from MTC

Note:  Michael asked me to be his editor so he could write fast without worrying about grammar, etc.  - Vince Han

Dear FAMILY!

So the past few days were insane.  My district is so awesome.  My companion's name is Elder Clark, and he is from Cedar City, UT.  He is also going to Australia Sydney, but I don't know if it is north or south.  My other elders are going to Busan and Daejon.  I am so excited that I might be able to serve the Lord.  It is such a great blessing.

That is so awesome that James is the new ward choir director.  He will do fantastic.  I also want to challenge you, because it is the summer, to have one week designated for Korean.  Only read in Korean, watch in Korean, speak in Korean, and work Korean.  I know that will be super hard, but I wish I had done that during my life.  Even if that means not hanging out with friends, but hanging out with family and learning the language.

In my district there are four elder companions including me and elder clark, and two sister companions.  What is so awesome is that there are 104 elders and sisters that are Korean speaking!  YEAH!  My friends are Elder Wilson (he is 6' 6" and just graduated from high school!), Elder Jackson (plays soccer AWWW YEAHHH), Elder Hansen ( Really funny, and farts a lot, we call him bangu haha), Elder Carter (half Japanese, and is awesome), Elder Sorenson (Going to California ARCADIA!), and Elder Blake (Half Korean, doesn't know it at all and is also going to California Arcadia!). 

Wednesday was so tough!!!  We came in and had a four hour class, and it was insane.  Inside the class, there was an investigator in every room who invited us to come in, and boy was it hard.  It gave me perspective that we can't just give them the Book of Mormon and say you will love it.  We have to follow the spirit, and feel their needs and what is the best thing to say to them.  Also, I learned that day that it isn't only through hearing that they may receive the gospel, it is through doing service for them, or feeling the spirit and acknowledging that.  This week we realized that our teacher would only speak Korean to all of us, so basically I was the translator.  It was funny, the first thing in class and our first lesson was Hello formal, Hello, and Pleased to meet you, and everyone was saying it so wrong!  I was like, no its like this.  I felt bad because I already knew most of the things.

Wednesday was so intense, I was tired when we got home.  And I couldn't even sleep.  However, I know that the Lord helps in amazing ways, because during the day I was never tired, and I kept wanting to learn more. 

About my zone leaders:  Elder Khan, Elder Manasefjlks (don't really remember), and Elder Allan. 
Elder Khan is so cool!  He is from New Zealand and is speaking Korean. 

Ok, so Thursday was packed too.  We had some stuff in the morning about how we can recognize other peoples' needs and what we need to do to ask the right questions.  Also, we went to our 5 hour class!  It was about the missionary purpose in Korean, and learning the alphabet.  Later on, my teacher told me and my companion to go to a different room, and she wanted to know how good my Korean was.  She asked me to speak about Joseph Smith, and I was so informal it was bad!  But it was an awesome experience, because it taught me I still need to learn a ton.  My Korean has improved so much and I know it is because of the wonderful Lord. 

I keep seeing Elder allen, and Elder lewis, but not Elder crowder enough.  Last night we went to our branch meeting, and I SAW PRESIDENT LEE AND SISTER LEE.  It is funny, because he was like anyong haseyyo, I'm president lee, who are your parents?  At first, I didn't understand so I was like, "Hi, I have a father and a mother..." and he was like, "no, who are your parents, (in english)", "I said yun hyeonju, and han wonki."  and he said, "Your Dad was my AP."  And I was like BOOYAH My parents are awesome!  But when we sat down he kept looking at me and smiled, I was like uh oh, something weird is going to happen.  All the presidents stood up and introduced themselves, and President Lee came up introduced himself, and basically introduced me!  Everyone looked at me and now almost everyone knows me.  Weird.

During the meeting we introduced all of the missionaries, and what mission, where you were from, and a brief testimony.  I could tell from the spirit, everyone was so ready to prepare speaking korean, and that they knew that this gospel was true.  It is amazing in the MTC how much you feel the spirit.  I mean I thought BYU was awesome, but the MTC is so awesome. 

Ok I only have 5 minutes left, but we got interviewed with the presidents one by one.  Afterwards, the zone leaders were speaking to us, because the presidents were still talking outside,  I kind of had a clue what about, but when they got back they called DISTRICT LEADERS!!  It is way too fast, but I am a DISTRICT LEADER!  I am so excited!!!  I also started teaching my district Korean before korean class because I wanted to help them.

I just want to end with my testimony,
That this wonderful church is true.  Heavenly Father will help you in every way possible if you ask him.  I know that to be true. 

Sorry it is brief, but I also want to say that every week, everyone prepares talks every week, and they randomly call people.  cool, huh?

Anyways, I also want to say to MOM: 
I love you, and I know that you are sad that I'm gone, but I want to let you know that my room is clean, nothing is wrong with me, and I am doing well.

K  BYE,
LOVE YOU GUYS


Elder Han


No comments:

Post a Comment